Weekly post over a reading.

For starters, I believe that removing the film is censorship. There's no argument about that (at least in my opinion.) I'm actually pretty disgusted by some of the movies made today, and I would prefer for those to be removed than a movie that is trying to make a statement, instead of just a bunch of money.

I am actually interested in watching this film and just to see how "offensive" it really is. Seriously, with all the crappy movies that have come out lately, it makes going to the movie a last resort sort of thing. Here is a clip to strengthen my argument.

This is from Disaster Movie, which is basically a spoof of some of the current movies. I loved Juno, I thought it was a pretty good movie. In this clip the guy basically suggests that he should give her an abortion with a coat hanger, how disgusting and obscene is that? It's really no laughing matter, many women are hurt or die by getting abortions by non professionals because they are desperate, why isn't this movie censored or banned?

I don't think it's so much the fault of the gay/lesbian community, I have gay and lesbian friends and they are open to people who are transgendered. I even have a friend who dated a transgendered (female to male) and was very happy. I think it's just a matter of personal beliefs or opinions, maybe a few people from the gay community are uncomfortable with the idea of transgendered individuals, but there's no need to blame the whole gay community.

Unfortunately this showed how strong web activism is, as a group managed to get a film, that in my point of view could be very culturally significant, removed from the film festival.

Another thing that bothered me was the removal of pictures from an exhibit because they were too obscene or controversial. A friend of mine and I were talking about how art is so lazy and somewhat censored as compared to art from several generations ago, everyone is so easily offended and too close-minded to accept different points of view.

I honestly did not get the Dr. Strangelove reference. I've never seen the movie so I guess I'm in the dark about the title. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it seems pretty funny so I may have to watch it once finals are over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really dislike parody movies that are made these days. I didn't even want to watch the clip because I find that way offensive. It's not like the parody movie is making a cultural statement. It's just trying to be funny and I don’t appreciate the humor.
I think that art has to be seen in the right venue which often means MAKING that venue. We had a poetry slam at the NMSU-A campus last week. I decided not to read one of my poems because of the dudes playing pool in the back. They were not there for poetry and I really didn't care to share something they wouldn't get with them. It's a whole performance piece so it's not like they can easily ignore my ravings at some points as a regular poem one can ignore poems simply read.
But I also understand that we need to shock people with art sometimes. And galleries need to realize that as well. The gallery isn't there just to make money. It's there to enlighten viewers. But of course everyone is going to have their own interpretations of the art which means people may be offended. They can close their eyes like they close their ears and minds.

Anonymous said...

I, unfortunately, too watched the movie,Juno, last month. I regreted to even spent 10 bucks on the dvd rental. Most of these movies really do not make sense and they are not even funny. They don't even have great cast in these movies, which makes me wonder the purpose of making these movies.

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Ramblings of a Wild-Haired Feminist Heathen