Should Children Really Be Watching and Listening to Them?

This is in reference to this blog post.

Occasionally (ok maybe 2 or 3 times a week) I watch Nickelodeon, I love Spongebob Squarepants. I've been watching it since it premiered and I still watch it 10 years later. Every year Nickelodeon hosts the Kid's Choise Awards aimed at their younger viewers. I never watch it and I would have completely dismissed the commercial when I heard that there was going to be a performance from The Pussycat Dolls. If you're not familiar with their work watch this:

There are so many things wrong with a child listening to that and/or watching their music videos. The video is not suitable for young girls, not only that the lyrics are about a girl seducing a man in a relationship and trying to make him leave his girlfriend for her.

I'm just baffled that young girls listen to this music and probably sing that song. They're probably not old enough to understand sex yet they're singing songs about having sex. And as they grow older they will think it's ok to be objectified like the women in the music videos.

Another thing that surprised me were the nominees for favorite song:
I Kissed a Girl:
"This was never the way I planned
Not my intention
I got so brave, drink in hand
Lost my discretion

It's not what I'm used to
Just wanna try u on
I'm curious for you
Caught my attention

(CHORUS)
I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong
It felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it

(V2)
No I don't even know your name
It doesn't matter You're my experimental game
Just human nature"


Don't Stop the Music:
"Baby are you ready 'cuz it's gettin' close
Don't you feel the passion ready to explode?
What goes on between us no - one has to know
This is a private show

Do you know what you started?
I just came here to party
But now we're rockin on the dance floor, actin' naughty
Your hands around my waist
Just let the music play
We're hand in hand chest to chest and now we're face to face"


Kiss Kiss:
"I'm the epitome of this demonstration, I got the remedy
You feelin' me, so why is you hatin' my anatomy?
It's bird like, yeah, you heard right
Girl, I'm the king so that means I'm fly, fly

If you with it girl, get it poppin'
Girl with me, ain't no stoppin'
So get it shawty, we parking lot pimpin' in my dome
I know what you want"


Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)
"Cause if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it
If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it
Don't be mad once you see that he want it
If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it

I got gloss on my lips (lips)
A man on my hips (hips)
Hold me tighter than my Dereon jeans

Actin' up (up)
Drinkin' my cup (cup)
I can care less what you think "

I don't know about you guys, but I miss the days of boy bands.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss The Raincoats! Oh wait, let me just put on my headphones. "Single Ladies" gets on my nerves. I've heard "I Kissed a Girl" and mostly think it's stupid and hardly worth my attention. Girls using girls to expeinent. Everyone's getting used. No one's going to waste around here. :P And it's played off like it's alright with "Just human nature." once again :P *raspberries*
"Kiss Kiss" seems to be promoting date rape: "If you with it girl, get it poppin' (get him hard?) Girl with me, ain't no stoppin' (date rape) So get it shawty, we parking lor pimpin' in my dome (screw HIM. It's not about her) I know what you want (I doubt it)"
I ignore most pop culture becuase I find it stupid and irritating. This just shows how much we really need to move into a new era of feminism!

Anonymous said...

oh yes and I just watched some of the video. What a terrible message to send to gals who want to be good friends and want keep their boy friends. Freak, Raw, Fun. That's what a boy friends really want out of a relationship e.i. sex and sex in this masculine way, the way HE wants it.
I really can't stand putting women against women, especially when it's a woman putting herself against another! We're suppose to be sister and against men! j/k about being against men! I've got a husband and two sons.
But really, I think that is the most important part about the video. It puts women as enemies.

Dr. J said...

Did you see on Danielle's blog what the makeover the industry is giving to Dora the Explorer? Her blog is Misfortunesdoom...btw. There's a link between your posts...this sexualization of young girls or how women are only okay if they look/act a certain way. Keep up the insightful commentary!

-lisa said...

ugh, the pussycat dolls.......you know, to a certain extent, i understand women using their sexuality to attract attention, but in their case, i think they attract the WRONG attention........and music like that, well, i have a 10 yr old sister who occasionally listens to that junk, and i don't know how to turn her off........if a song is popular, like katy perry's (double ugh), it's going to be EVERYWHERE....so i think it's definately up the parents, or whoever is around, to make the judgement call on whether or not it's okay for children to listen.....

Anonymous said...

Discussion about the music with their children is key. A pearnet can't just ban the radio. They are going to hear it other places as well. Parents need to be having a conversation about the issue with their children.

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Ramblings of a Wild-Haired Feminist Heathen