Sexist Television Commercials

So I came across the 15 most sexist television commercials.

I've compiled a list of the ones that I found most disturbing or offensive.


This commercial is wrong in so many ways. As far as I can remember I didn't like boys until I was around 11-12 years old. This girl looks about 9 or 10 (I could be wrong of course). The second part that bothers me is the fact that she basically assumed that the little boy was going to buy her the ice cream. It's the same as when a girl girls to the bar and winks or flirts with guys to get free drinks. For a young girl that age it's trying to reinforce negative stereotype that girls or women are only out to get free stuff from boys or men.



We all know men can't cook! It's not like there aren't famous chefs who are mainly men! In this commercial the daughters and mothers are worried that their dad's attempt at cooking dinner is going to be a tragedy. This just reinforces the stereotype that women do all of the cooking in the house and the men really shouldn't contribute because cooking is either too hard or women's work.

Last but not least The Flinstones!

I loved the Flinstones growing up, by the time I saw the show they had taken the smoking promotions out of it. The thing that disturbs me (besides selling cigarettes to their viewers which are mostly or are made up of a large majority of children of various ages) is the fact that though they see and notice that their wives are busting their butts trying to clean they don't offer to help. They decide to go somewhere else so that they don't have to see their wives hard at work. It's understandable that a man would think "I work and make money, she's a housewife she doesn't work". I think that being a housewife, especially with children is more than a full time job, you have to keep the house clean and in order all while taking care of a child. It's just a skewed view of how men shouldn't help out their wives.

Though these are old commercials, I believe that commercials in this day in age are worse, much more sexist and way too sexual for day time and prime time TV.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for stop by at my blog!

You know what, I like your ads. I have never even think about these ads before. It's not because I might be senseless, but I usually use Tivo to fast forward to the part that I want to watch. There is also many commercials that might offense women, especially during the football seasons such as beer commercial.

What do you think about Victoria's Secrets commercials? I talked to one of my professor, she thinks that these Vicky's Secret Commercial build up a false impression toward the youngs. Many young girls think that women should be as pretty and have cleavage as these models, but the chances of these young girls have cleavage are vary, will these kinds of ads crashes these young girls self-confident??? Do you agree the professor's statement?

The Wallflower said...

Vickey, I completely agree, I think some girls idolize these women and after realizing that they don't look like the girls in the victorias secret commercials they start feeling upset and probably become depressed, start having problems with self-image and develop eating disorders.

It's really sad. You should check out Dove's real women campaign. They're trying to take all the fake imagery out of women's ads.

Anonymous said...

about the Flintstones... This reminds me of a small minority in China, I forget their name, but they are associated with Love-Suicide Hill or Mountain or something. In their culture, they have a few things that western culture (and many others) don't have. For example, they do not get married, so the kids father figure is usually the uncle. The women work all day, and it is considered feminine, and the women are highly respected. The men do not work, they are not manly if they do. so they sit around all day waiting until the women are done work. they actually have a story where a little boy wanted to be just like his sisters, mom etc. and worked very hard beside them. However he was made fun of for being feminine. the moral of the story, is that it is not manly to work.

My point is that most feminist theory is based on western thought, and sometimes it's helpful to consider that actions that might represent something to one culture, will mean something completely different in the next. I think you understand.

Sometimes I feel that feminism (in the professional/scholarly study way), like many other fields made up in western culture becomes problematic when we start categorizing. for example, calling something out as right or wrong.

thoughts aside, I really enjoyed reading your blog :) it's great procrastination material for a student ;)
xo Mimi

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Ramblings of a Wild-Haired Feminist Heathen