In response to a blog post

After reading this post I now have respect for country music. I've never really thought that there would be feminist issues in country music.

One of the most interesting songs she mentioned is "The Pill" by Loretta Lynn. The song is basically about a woman who is dealing with her husband's cheating and decides to end it and go out on her own and reclaim her sexuality. Country music, at least in my experience, is associated with the right wing republicans (especially where I lived) and it's the same people who disapprove of birth control and protest abortion.

The fact that young women can hear this song and understand that it is ok for them to seek out birth control without shame is a very good sign. Though the singer may not be blogging, she may be bringing up personal and intimate experiences to help gain more listeners.

Other country music singers sing about domestic violence and how it is not ok for a woman to put up with it. I've had friends and family members who have dealt with domestic violence and it's a hard thing to understand, though the woman knows that the man is hurting her she still stays. If perhaps a country singer can bring about the subject in her songs and help women overcome the fear of leaving an abusive partner then they have all of my respect.

2 comments:

-lisa said...

you know, i really dislike country music......lol...but it's true that one wouldn't necessarily think of country music and feminism as a working pair.....but have you ever listened to the Dixie Chicks?....lol, i.ll admit, they're one of my guilty pleasures (shhh!).....take a listen to the song "Goodbye Earl"........this song is a good example of making a serious issue, like domestic violence against women, easier to "swallow" with the use of music..........and at the same time, bringing attention to the issue.....

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I have to admit that I only listen to Shania Twain when it comes to the country music (even the cute little Miley Syrus can't makes me listen to her.) But, my parents like the country music and my in-laws love them. The lyrics weren't bad at all. Many social issues were addressed in their songs, for example, there's country music video talked about Iraq war, the mother was waiting for her son to come back from the war, but the son died during the war. The music video then went back when the boy was little and how the mother took care of him. Several other songs also talked about drunk driving and how the drunk diving killed their loved one.
Like I said the lyrics of the country music really weren't bad, I just hope they can change another way to sing it.

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Ramblings of a Wild-Haired Feminist Heathen